HIPS, or High Impact Polystyrene, has similar features to ABS. The major difference is that HIPS is dissolvable by Limonene. This means that HIPS is used as a support material in 3d prints, and later dissolved by placing your print in Limonene. This is an amazing alternative to scraping away regular support material, which may hurt your hand and damage your print. Some people choose to print with HIPS filament alone but the real magic of this filament is to create magic prints when you use it as a dissolvable support material.
HIPS is as easy to print as ABS but is much less susceptible to warp. HIPS filament is perfect for printing in conjunction with ABS because it is also strong and sturdy, and complements ABS well. HIPS and ABS need to be printed at about the same temperature. Zyltech HIPS filament prints best with the bed between 90-110°C and the extrusion temp around 230°C.
- Diameter: 1.75mm
- Tolerance: ±.05mm
- Density: 1.27 g/cm³
- Appx Length on Spool: 327 meters
- Spool Dimensions:
- Outer Dimension of Spool: 11.5" x 6"
- Inner Hole Diameter: 32mm
- Recommended Temps:
- Print Temperature: 205±10°C
- Recommended Bed Temperature: Not needed, but if printer has heated bed, 40±15 °C
- Recommended Build Surface:
- Microporous Coated Glass
- Painters Tape
- Glue Stick or Hairspray on Glass (use caution with adhesives as PLA may adhere very well)
Pro Tips from the ZYLtech Print Lab:
- Leveling for PLA filament:
- If you use the paper method to level, we usually suggest leveling as you would for PLA then setting a Z offset of +.5-1mm.
- PLA does not like to “squish.”
- First Layer Adherence:
- We have found that 0% fan for the first 2 layers gives the best chance to avoid curling/warping.
- Layer Adhesion:
- PLA 3d printer filament will adhere to itself more efficiently when printed with little to no parts cooling fan. If you are working with fine detail or bridging, you will have to experiment with parts cooling fan settings for best results.
- Stringing and retraction:
- You will typically need to increase the retraction distance and retraction speed vs printing with PLA. You will need to experiment with stringing and retraction test models to dial in your machine’s settings.
Why Choose ZYLtech?
- Affordable Quality
- ZYLtech strives to provide our customers with the highest quality 3d printer filament at the most affordable price.
- Fast US Based Shipping
- All of your products are packaged and shipped directly to you from our facility in Houston, Tx.
- Amazing In House Customer Support
- You'll experience great sales, customer service and technical support directly from our in house team. We truly care about our customers and appreciate each of you! We're here 5 days a week and are ready to help you any way we can!
- All of ZYLtech's products are supported by our friendly, in-house team based in Houston, Tx. If you ever have questions about products or need support on a project, the ZYLtech family is here to help!
- Single Source Manufacturing
- All of ZYLtech's 3d printer filament is sourced from a single manufacturing facility so you can expect consistency and reliability roll after roll.